Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Mom, Old Style

Why, oh why, wasn't I born sooner? I missed out on the best era of all times. The 60's and 70's had to have been the best time to live. From bell bottoms to Aerosmith, Kiss, and The Stones, I feel like I missed out in alot. My mother is one lucky chick.

Cloth diapering and breastfeeding were normal. Most people were tree hugging hippies. Today I am looked at like a freak because I have my son walking around in a big fluffy diaper. He was exclusively breastfed until he decided to stop. He co-slept with me as he wished. He wears little punk rock baby clothes while I wear band t's and listen to bands that existed decades prior to my birth. My son fell asleep to my weak sleep deprived voice singing "Sympathy for the devil" "Dream On" "I was made for loving you" "Hay You" and "Dream Weaver"

And I'm not the only one. There's a website out there bring some of us mom's with old (good) taste together. Finally, I'm not the only one putting Led Zeppelin on my Ipod and not Motzart. Kushies, not Pampers. Breast Milk over Enfamil.

Ok, so this post isn't all about my music addiction. It's also about my diaper addiction. Yet another 'old' think that's making a huge comeback. My husband says we need a 12-step program. Why? Because cloth diapering is so addicting. No one has yet to figure out why it's so addicting except squealing, "Because it's soooooo cuuuuteee!!!" If anyone can figure out our shared insanity, let me know. I'd love to hear your thought because quite plainly put, I don't know why.

Why do I lust over cotton velour and organic hemp? Dream of soft anti-pill fleece? Spend hours scouring forums for great deals? I have no clue. I have plenty other things to do with my time. I just choose to let my mind float in a endless web of fabrics, brands, and colors of things to cover my son's bottom with.

I guess part of the addiction is about the money saving. You save, easily, several thousand dollars per child you cloth diaper. There's also many who say it's for the environment which I completely understand. If they made Pampers back when my great great great grandparent's were babies, they would still be in a landfill decomposing. Some say it's just 'easier' or 'cuter'. Whatever the reason, once you never get out!

I always urge new mom, and even women who think they might want children, to consider cloth. It's not as costly as you think to start up. My whole stash, one that while not pretty can diaper my son for over 2 weeks if needed, was bought with $150. I started on $50 and slowly, $3 here $5 there, built it up to were it is.

Anyways, more latter, off to spend time with the family.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should just be who you want to be, after all the times you long for were all about freedom and the right to choose so just be yourself and to hell with people who see you outside the norm as they would have us all like clones if they could because that way we're easier to understand and therefore control. Have a nice day. Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bumped into your blog on diaperswappers. You are so right, cloth is addicting. I couldn't tell you why. It's cute, it's cost effective, it saves the environment, it's different, etc. Trying to find that one perfect diaper is the thrill for me, something that is just right for my little one's bottom.

    ReplyDelete